Vegan caesar salad dressing with a lentil salad.
Caesar Salad Dressing
- 80g/ ½ cup cashew nuts
- ½ lemon juice
- 60ml water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ to 1 clove garlic
- Ground black pepper
- 8 cavolo-nero or kale leaves, stripped from the stems and roughly chopped
- ½ lemon juice
- 400g tinned green lentils, drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 tomatoes, in chunks
- ½ avocado, in chunks
- ½ sweet pepper, sliced
- Handful walnuts
- A small handful of pumpkin seeds
- Small handful fresh parsley
To make the dressing
- Add all the ingredients for the Caesar salad dressing into a high-powered blender and blend until silky smooth – we like the dressing quite thick, but if you’d prefer it thinner add a splash more water.
To make the lentil salad
- Add the cavolo nero or kale to a serving bowl, squeeze over the lemon juice and massage through the leaves.
- Drain and rinse the lentils, add them to a bowl, tip over the extra virgin olive oil and stir through. Add the diced onions, tomatoes, avocado, sweet pepper and gently stir in.
- Place a small dry frying pan on the hob and add the pumpkin seeds and walnuts to it – toast for a few minutes, keeping the nuts and seeds moving to avoid burning. Remove from heat.
To serve –
- Spoon the lentil salad over the cavolo nero or kale, then drizzle with the Caesar salad dressing. Finally, scatter over the fresh parsley leaves along with the toasted pumpkin seeds and walnuts.
- The sauce will keep for up to 48 hours in an airtight container the fridge.
- If you do not have a high-powered blender put the cashew nuts into a bowl, cover with water, cover bowl and set to one side for at least 4 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse the cashew nuts before adding to the blender.
- Serving Size: Serves 2 or more as a side dish
Keywords: Caesar salad, vegan, lentil salad,