Our tomato and lentil soup recipe is a family favourite, packed with fibre and great flavour. A classic reassuring bowl of food.
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 1 leek or 2 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 100–150g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Good pinch of salt
- Few grinds of black pepper
Easy soup ingredient additions
- 300g sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
Add an extra 500ml of stock if using sweet potatoes
- Use a large saucepan, add the oil and bring the pan to a medium heat. Then add the onion, leeks/celery, carrot and garlic. Stir and gently cook for 5 minutes and continue to cook until the onions start to soften.
- Add the tomato puree, stir through the vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and stir again
- Tip in the tinned tomatoes
- Add the mixed herbs
- Pour in the vegetable stock, stir, and bring to a gentle simmer
- Cook for around 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft
- Remove the pan from the heat and using a hand-held stick blender, blend the soup until completely smooth. Once smooth return the pan to the heat.
- Serve when hot
If including the sweet potato – add the peeled and chopped sweet potato pieces at step 3. Then in step 6 add another 500ml of vegetable stock to make it up to 1.5 litres of stock