Delicious savoury pancakes made with oats, fresh spinach leaves and avocado. Make as a small stack or larger pancakes to fill and fold.
Vegan and easy to make gluten-free.
- 1 cup of oats (gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond or oat milk
- ½ a ripe avocado
- 1 to 1½ large handfuls fresh spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoon of natural coconut yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- a grind of fresh black pepper
- extra virgin olive
- Use either a food processer or a high powered blender add the oats, and pulse until they become a flour. Then add the remaining ingredients and blend until you have a smooth, slightly thick, vibrant green pancake batter.
- Place a large frying pan on the hob and use a folded piece of kitchen paper to lightly wipe the base of the pan with a small amount of oil. Pancakes will soak up oil if they are fried and become dense and glutinous. Heat the pan over medium heat.
- To check the pan is at the right temperature spoon a tablespoon of the mixture in the pan and see how it cooks.
- Once the pan is at the correct temperature, use a ¼ sized measuring cup to scoop the batter into the frying pan. Depending on the size of your pan you may be able to cook 3 or 4 pancakes at once – they will spread slightly. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside of the pancake has started to turn a light golden brown. Flip the pancakes over and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes. Savoury pancakes take slightly longer to cook through than our sweet ones do.
- If you are serving all the pancakes at the same time put the oven on a low heat and place a plate in the middle. Transfer the pancakes to the oven as they are cooked.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked serve and enjoy with your choice of savoury toppings from garlic mushrooms, nut butter drizzle or fresh herby salads.
Each small pancake takes 4 minutes to cook on each side, we cook a few in the pan at the same time.
Each larger pancake is thinner and takes 3 minutes to cook on each side.
Keywords: pancakes, oats, spinach, avocado