Farinata is a delicious vegan omelette style dish made with gram flour.
- 250g gram/chickpea flour
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 800ml warm water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed from stalk
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl add the gram flour, salt, baking powder, pour in the water and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Cover and set to one side overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- Skim any froth from the surface of the batter mix, then add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and whisk in.
- Heat the oven to 220°C fan.
- Using a medium oven-proof frying pan add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to the pan, bring to a high heat then add the leaves from 2 sprigs of rosemary and cook for 15 seconds.
- Scoop 2 cups of the farinata batter into the frying pan, move the pan around so that the batter covers the base evenly. Cook until the batter starts to bubble then place the frying pan in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden on top.
- Once cooked eat straight away or keep on a warm plate or in an oven on a low heat until the other farinatas are cooked.
- To serve, we enjoy ours with roasted tomatoes and chimichurri. They are also delicious cold and a great for lunch boxes.
To store, place in an air tight container, in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
- Serving Size: 3