Delicious rich dark chocolate truffles with a fun ghoulish Halloween twist.
- 300g dark chocolate, or use a mix of chocolate orange and dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 150ml double cream/dairy-free
- 50g butter/ dairy-free
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- Sprinkles – orange, black, white and chocolate in various shapes
- 100g white chocolate melted
- Candy googly eyes
- Tip the chopped chocolate into a heatproof/ microwaveable bowl and heat at 600w/low heat for 4 minutes, until the chocolate has melted.
- You could also melt the chocolate in a bain-marie if you do not have a microwave.
- Into a small pan pour the double cream and add the butter. Gently heat until the butter has melted and stir to combine, then bring the cream to a gentle simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Tip the melted chocolate into the pan- if using add the orange extract add this now. Using a metal spoon carefully stir and fold the chocolate into the cream until it is fully combined.
- Once combined pour the mixture into the rectangular dish and place in the fridge to set for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove the truffle mix from the fridge and line a plate with baking paper.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop out a heaped teaspoon full of truffle mix and lightly roll in the palm of your hands to form the rounded truffle shape, now place the truffle on the lined plate. Repeat until all the truffle mix is used up.
- To make the white ghosts
- Melt the white chocolate in a heat proof bowl, for 2 minutes on high in the microwave, once runny, spoon over 6 truffles, allow the melted chocolate to dribble into small pools at the base of the truffle. To create the eyes, use 2 dark sprinkles.
- Seperate the sprinkles into individual small bowls and roll the remaining balls in them until they are covered, place back on the baking paper. To add the eyes dip the back of the eye into the remaining white chocolate and secure it to the Halloween Spooktacular truffle.
- Place the truffles into the fridge to set for 30 minutes.
If leaving the truffle mix to set in the fridge overnight, we remove it one hour before we wish to roll the truffles so that it is easier to use. If it is a warm day you will not need the full hour.
UK Plant-based replacements;
For the double cream, we used the Elmlea double cream alternative.
For the butter, we used Nuturli Organic Vegan Block
Keywords: halloween, truffles,