A flavour-filled crispy golden tofu and noodle nourishing bowl of food.
- 280g extra firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1cm fresh ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 80g brown rice noodles
- A handful of cashew nuts
- 6 tender stem broccoli
- 2 pak choi, sliced – separate the white stem from the leaf
- A small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mixed seeds
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 roasted bell pepper from a jar, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame, groundnut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- Fresh red chilli, sliced
- Cook the rice noodles according to the packet instructions – usually you’ll need to place the noodles into a pan of boiling water, remove from the heat and soak for 10 minutes. Drain the water and stir through a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Set to one side.
- Drain and slice the tofu into bite-size pieces, then use some kitchen roll to dab off as much liquid as possible.
- In a shallow bowl add the tamari, maple syrup, ginger and garlic – stir together and then mix in the tofu, making sure the all the pieces are covered. Set to one side and leave to marinate for as long as possible (a minimum of 30 minutes).
- Drain the excess marinade into a small pot, then add 3 heaped tablespoons of cornflour to the bowl with the tofu and coat completely.
- Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a medium frying pan and bring to a medium-high heat and add the tofu. Cook each side of the tofu for a few minutes until it’s golden and lightly crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small dry frying pan gently toast the cashew nuts for a few minutes until golden. Remove from the heat, place in a bowl and set to one side.
- To cook the tender stem broccoli and pak choi, add half a tablespoon to a frying pan, add the broccoli and pak choi stems and cook for a 4-6 minutes before adding the leaves and three-quarters of the coriander. Then cook for a few more minutes before removing from the heat.
- Meanwhile, place another small frying pan on medium heat and add half a tablespoon of oil. Tip in the sliced mushrooms with the tamari and mixed seeds. Cook for 6-8 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and coated in the seeds and tamari.
- To make the dressing, add the lime juice, tamari, sesame oil and rice vinegar to a jar with a screw lid and shake until it’s combined.
- To serve, add the noodles to the serving bowls, then place in the mushrooms, tofu, broccoli, pak choi and peppers. Sprinkle over the remaining coriander leaves, toasted cashew nuts and some slices of fresh chilli. Finally pour over the dressing. Enjoy.
- Serving Size: 2
Keywords: nourish bowl