A tasty crispy tofu rice bowl.
- 100g black rice, cooked
- ½ vegan vegetable stock cube
- 280g extra firm tofu
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 3 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1cm ginger, grated
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- Handful cashew nuts, toasted
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 sweet pepper, sliced
- 1/3 cucumber, sliced & in quarters
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions and add the stock cube to the water whilst cooking. Once the rice is cooked, drain and set to one side.
Drain and slice the tofu into bite-size pieces, then using kitchen roll dab off as much liquid as possible.
- In a shallow bowl add the tamari, maple syrup, ginger and garlic – stir together and then mix in the tofu- make sure the tofu pieces are covered. Set to one side and leave to marinate for as long as possible (minimum 30 minutes).
- Drain the excess marinade into a small pot, then sprinkle 3 heaped tablespoons of cornflour over the tofu and stir to coat completely in the cornflour.
In a dry frying pan gently toast the cashew nuts for a few minutes, remove and set to onside.
- Add a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to a medium pan and bring to a medium-high heat and then add the tofu. Cook each side of the tofu for a few minutes until it’s golden and lightly crisp. To serve, divide the rice between the two bowls then add the red pepper, spring onions, cucumber and tofu.
- Scatter over the cashew nuts and drizzle the remaining marinade over the bowl.
- Serving Size: 2