A sumptuous Chocolate Orange Steamed Pudding
For the pudding:
- 100g vegan block butter/ margarine
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 150ml unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 45g unsweetened non-dairy yoghurt
- 175g self-raising flour /gluten-free if needed & ¼ teaspoon xanthan
- 40g cocoa powder
- 15g cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Zest 1 orange
- Juice 1 orange /45ml
- ½ teaspoon orange essence
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g of dark chocolate, chopped
- 200ml vegan double cream
- 60ml maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon orange essence
To make the pudding;
- Grease the whole of the inside of a 1.2L pudding bowl with butter and then cut a disk of baking paper that fits neatly in the bottom of the pudding bowl. This will prevent the pudding from sticking.
- In a medium, pan put the butter, sugar, maple syrup, orange zest, orange juice and orange essence and vanilla extract. Stir together until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk and yoghurt and whisk in.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl – including the flour, cornflour, cocoa powder and raising agents and then tip them into the pan with the wet ingredients and whisk together, until smooth.
- Spoon the mix into the pudding bowl, level out the mix and tap the bowl few times on the worktop to remove any stubborn air bubbles.
- Fill the kettle and turn it on.
- Now take a large square of baking paper and one the same size of foil.
- Fold the paper along the centre line, then fold its back on itself to create a 3cm deep pleat in the paper. Repeat the process with the foil.
- Place the paper on the top of the pudding basin, then place the foil over the top of this. Press the foil around and over the rim of the pudding basin. Make sure the top is flat.
- Take hold of your string and wrap it around the basin – about 3cm from the top of the rim – to hold down and secure the baking paper and foil, tie a tight knot in the string to ensure that no water or steam can get into the basin.
- Trim and remove any excess foil and paper away from the basin.
- Place the large pan on the hob over a medium heat, fill the pan about halfway with boiling water and bring the water back to a gentle simmer. Place the steamer over the top of the pan and place the pudding bowl into the steamer. Cover with the pan lid.
- Steam for 90 minutes. Occasionally check to see that the pan hasn’t boiled dry.
To make the chocolate orange sauce.
- In a small saucepan add the chopped chocolate, cream, maple syrup and orange essence and gently melt over a low heat. Stir until it is all melted and combined. The sauce can be gently reheated ready for when the chocolate orange steamed sponge pudding is ready.
- Once the chocolate orange steamed sponge pudding is ready very carefully remove it from the steamer and leave to stand for 10 minutes before removing the string and coverings.
Take the plate you intend on serving the pudding on and place it over the top of the bowl. Now carefully holding the plate and the bowl together turn them over, the pudding will drop onto the plate. Remove the bowl.
Pour the warm chocolate sauce into a jug and then pour the sauce liberally over the chocolate orange steamed pudding.
Keywords: Chocolate orange steamed pudding