A delicious and creamy cauliflower and toasted almond soup – easy to make and ideal for freezing
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium cauliflower, remove the leaves and chop the whole cauliflower into 3cm pieces
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 100g almond flakes, toasted
- 400ml unsweetened almond milk/plant-based milk/milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast or 25g cheddar cheese, grated
- Good pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Toasted almond flakes
- Chilli flakes
- Add the oil to a large saucepan, place on the hob and bring to a medium heat. Now add the onion and celery and cook for 3 minutes before adding the garlic. Stir and continue to cook until the onions start to soften
- Meanwhile, take a medium sized frying pan, place it on the hob on a medium to high heat and tip in the almond flakes. Keep them moving around the pan, so that they don’t burn, then remove from the heat once they start to turn a light golden brown. Set to one-side
- Whilst the almonds toast, add the cauliflower to the onions and celery
- Pour over the vegetable stock and almond milk and stir. Bring to a gentle simmer
- Add 75g of the toasted almond flakes to the soup and stir through. Add a good pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper. Set the remaining almond flakes to one-side ready for serving the cauliflower and almond soup
- Leave a large wooden spoon in the soup pan and place the pan lid on ajar. Simmer the soup, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and cooked.
- Now add the nutritional yeast and stir through.
- Remove the soup from the heat and place on a heat-proof surface.
- We use a hand-held stick blender to blend the soup until smooth
- Make sure the soup is lovely and warm before serving
You can use a food processor or a heat resistant upright blender to blend the soup. You might need to cool the soup a little before transferring it over.