Delicious banana bread with chocolate swirls.
- 2 tablespoons milled flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 125ml plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 350g bananas (before peeling)
- 100g gluten-free plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml maple syrup
- 60ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 50g dark chocolate chunks
- 20g dark chocolate, melted
- Heat the oven to 160°C fan.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- In a small bowl add the milled flaxseed and water, stir and set to one-side.
- In a second small bowl pour the almond milk and stir in the apple cider vinegar, set to one-side.
- Mash or blend the bananas.
- In a large bowl tip in the flour, ground almonds, buckwheat flour, caster sugar, baking powder, half teaspoon of salt and bicarbonate of soda. Stir together.
- Pour the maple syrup, extra virgin olive oil, almond milk and apple cider vinegar mix, vanilla extract, flaxseed and mashed banana into the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add the chocolate chunks and stir in.
- Spoon the banana bread mix into the lined loaf tin. Lightly smooth the surface and drizzle over the melted dark chocolate. To achieve the ripple effect use a skewer or a cocktail stick to drag the melted chocolate across the top of the cake.
- Place on the middle shelf of the oven and cook for 50 minutes until golden on the surface and if you insert a skewer into the banana bread it comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack for 20 minutes and then remove the banana bread from the tin to cool entirely.
Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days.
Enjoy thick warm slices of banana bread from the oven (once it has cooled slightly), eat it cool with a mid-afternoon cup fo tea or have for breakfast spread with jam or chocolate spread. Delicious.
- Serving Size: 8 to 12 slices